Thursday, June 25, 2009

Living Archetypes


I've written a lot about my interest in astrology here at Eclectic Recovery. My slow, steady, study of astrology is how myth came alive in my imagination and myth taught me about archetypal forces much larger than myself acting in and through me. Getting past the typical western mindset about astrology was the entrance into an infinite world of possibilities; possibilities like grabbing the coattails of an archetype I'd never considered before, or deciding to manifest different attributes of the same overriding energy. The manifestation of an archetype allows an unlimited variety of choices in how to respond. The energy can always be lifted.

Alcoholic/Addict is an archetype I have manifested most of my life. Addict is a universal archetype and everyone manifests it in different areas and to different degrees. It's quite unfortunately been a life-defining archetype for me and one I sunk into for long periods of time, trying desperately to find my way out and failing in motivation and commitment to making sobriety the number one priority in my life. And now I see clearly that I can move away from this archetype with one simple rule in my life: don't drink. It is the simplest of equations, a mere non-action. I can use my common sense, intuition and imagination to feel what archetypes call to me and how to encourage those energies within. The simple pleasures I feel around the earth, cooking, writing and my spiritual practice point to the archetypes of creatress, earth helper, friend, sister, and full active being as the ones that will guide me into the next phase of life, years which have the potential to be the richest ones yet.

In the past couple of months, the overriding archetypes in my life have been sobrietist, worker, lover, victim and novice gardener (my favorite). I was also visited by an archetype: Kali, destroyer goddess. And while she wasn't exactly invited, I'm going to need her in the coming months. She tore through my body like an all-consuming fire and left me trembling in awe. I have to do something I'm not looking forward to. I'm taking the owner of the motel to court. I don't want to write much about it and have taken other posts about that experience down temporarily, but this is something I feel I need to do and I am scared to freakin' death to do it! The only comfort I get is when I let go of the outcome and continue to focus on my spiritual path. I am not only responding to an infinitely creative universe, I am participating with it, and to be honest, I don't want to let it down. So while it may seem petty to some, or un-spiritual to others, I think we just have to fight for what is right from where we find ourselves - not where we wish we were.

I've gotten much good advice and many different viewpoints and I have considered the options. And I doubt, and I doubt, and I doubt, and still I will do it. I'm compelled to do it. Not only for me, but for the next person, you know? We don't serve each other by allowing someone to take advantage. We only make it possible for them to continue to do so and it's usually those with the least resources that are hurt. I don't know about you, but I'm getting a little tired of that.

Let's keep our fingers crossed, shall we?

9 comments:

Sherri Cornelius said...

Thank you for standing up to them, Angel. I know it's hard.

Angela said...

Sherri,
I'm so glad to see you! I haven't been able to access your blog, but I see where you're starting over, I guess?? How are you??

Olivia said...

Angela, You have to do what you think is best. Everyone who matters will understand and whether or not they agree they will support you...this is what being a friend is, IMHO. I am certain that this will all work out the way it is supposed to for you.

I will definitely continue to keep my fingers crossed for you. Congratulations on the terrific accomplishment of your continued sobriety! Love, O

Judith said...

Good for you. Reading between the lines, it seemed like you were doing your best in a iffy situation.

I think if your motives are as you say (and I believe they are) and you don't expect much monetarily but rather to make your point, it could be a good experience for you.

And I agree with you, amateur gardening ROCKS!

julesgp187 said...

Good for you!! This must be hard for you - I am sure you can do it.

claud said...

I am so with you, Angela.

mizb said...

Hey Angela, I support you in standing up for justice! I agree with what you said...

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Easily I acquiesce in but I dream the list inform should acquire more info then it has.