Saturday, November 17, 2007

This is crazy

This is the view from my front door. I've been here in Montana almost five years and every year until this one, it has snowed by now. As a matter of fact it has always snowed by Halloween.
For a southern girl who always dreamed of a white christmas, it has been like being a kid in a candy store. I eagerly await the first fluffy flakes, get in the kitchen and make comfort food and settle in with my down throw, my kitties and George Clooney or Brad Pitt.
I moved here in November of 2002, and it was cold that year. However, I traveled back to Georgia in April of 2003 and I couldn't get warm to save my life! It was the coldest I had been since I moved.
It's probably almost 60-degrees outside right now. I'm not complaining, but it's just weird. The almanac says this is to be one of the coldest, snowiest, frozenest years on record. But so far it's just been mild. Ya'll remind me of this when I'm bitching about shoveling the sidewalk!

11 comments:

thailandchani said...

We have the same issue here. Each winter turns out to be more like spring. Although I am in Northern California, some variety would still be nice. We need rain! :)

Anonymous said...

It was nearly twenty years ago that I moved from Texas to Michigan. I had similar hopes of enjoying a Norman Rockwell-like winter. A couple years later a huge storm came through. Schools closed, roads closed, the streets were a mess. We couldn't get to the grocery store for three days.
A little hint: if you have to carry your groceries home through several feet of snow, buy the dry soup not the soup in a can. Those cans are heavy.

Two years after that I was so comfortable in my new life that I wished I didn't have to worry about alcohol. I drank after twelve years of sobriety. I fell hard too. Jail time and a shattered relationship. I lost nearly everything.

Living in the northern climate, I can expect the snowfall to be heavier than I would deem ideal. So too the fall from lapsing away from sobriety.

I am more than willing to remind you that you wanted that snow that breaks your back with shoveling. What would you have me remind you when you are devastated by yet another bitter relapse from drinking?

Marianne

Julie said...

I'm not a big fan of snow, but I admit to being sad at today's sunny and 65. We need rain.
Mmmmm, Brad Pitt and George Clooney.

turtlegirl said...

Your snow has arrived!

Unknown said...

i'm just happy w haven't had our early snows. the ski resorts don't hold the same views, i'm sure.

thanks for the tag. i have played continued the game.

Kate Robertson said...

I am not ready for snow, after Thanksgiving would be great. I have to go pick up my daughter in Missoula and really would be happy if the snow waited. I hate traveling those Mountain roads in a snowstorm.

- Kate

Grandmama Carla said...

In Maine, complaining about the weather is a sport. We grin inside. Unseasonable warmth is a gift, cause winter will pounce eventually. Today, 14 degrees at dawn. It's here!

Anonymous said...

Snow today, Angela!

Yippee, I think.

love c

John Eaton said...

No snow here in the southland but plenty of pecans.

John Eaton said...

And one or two more things, with Marianne's notes in mind.

My uncle Jack GreyEagle always says "Be who you are."

We nod to the west and say, in the old way, "Straight trails, swift dealings, and all enemies removed."

Aho,

John :)

Angela said...

Well, we have gotten our snow! Pictures to follow. Behind on my blogging but will be checking in with you all soon. Thanks for all the comments.