Friday, November 2, 2007

Halloween is for Kids





Aren't they cute? These are the two sons of one of Roberta's co-workers and a friend/colleague of mine. Halloween was my favorite holiday as a kid and this time of year remains my favorite as an adult. I've read a lot about pagan tradition and find myself deeply attracted to the festivities and holy days of the Old Religion. The holy days fall on the soltices, equinoxes and cross-quarter days between these events - all related to the placement of the sun and moon and the changing of seasons. My interest in astrology ties into this quite nicely and my use of ritual has developed from both interests.


My friend, Eric Frances, over at Planet Waves has this to say about this time of year:


"THESE NIGHTS of mid-Scorpio are when the veil between the worlds is the thinnest. They are the Days of the Dead: All Saints' Day, All Souls' Day, Dia de los Muertos, and Dia de los Angelitos; with special days designated to honor the unbaptized, small children, those who died violently, and of course, our ancestors. When our world is closest to the astral world, these souls can come visit; and we can visit them, honoring our predecessors in our hearts, and also with a simple ritual such as bringing gifts to a cemetery. In American culture, we call the whole business Halloween. That is an adaptation of Samhain, the high sabbat of the witch's calendar. This is related to Beltane in May -- the holiday of abundance, sex and passion."


Planet Waves is where my favorite blogger, Judith Gayle, resides, and if you want a taste of her, click here.


I've plugged these guys before and I'm plugging them now because it's possible I may be working with them in the near future. My only problem at the moment seems to be that I have so many possibilities to choose from, I may let an important one slip by. Let's hope not.



1 comment:

Pammie said...

Hello, I've been peeking at your blog this morning, and I appreciate your point of view. I also wanted to thank you for posting the link to Planet Waves...I really got a lot out of the reading.
Pam