Monday, March 15, 2010

Permaculture? What's that?

Brent and I drove over to Plains, a couple of valley's over, to look at some wood Brent was considering purchasing to build his front door. It's going to be gorgeous - blue pine with an authentic ship's portal for a window and a great handle which we're still hunting. We met a couple last summer at a summer fair where they were displaying his woodwork and her homemade jams, soaps and good stuff like that. We talked to them for quite awhile that day and exchanged numbers. Their names are Dan and Laurie. Dan has the wood. He's looking to come up with a few nice production pieces and produce and distribute them. He's very, very good.

Dan and Laurie have chickens, hogs, several garden areas, two lambs, fruit trees, a well, and a field mouse named Minimus for a pet. Dan and Laurie are doing permaculture and they'd never heard of it. I was in heaven. We're going back to spend some time with them this week, even though it's an hour's drive one way. Brent has already learned a lot from Dan and I'm dying to spend some time with Laurie and pick her brain about things. Starting with chickens.

I've been reading and soaking in the information at Carolyn Baker's website and have discovered some striking similarities between addiction-recovery-freedom and collapse-initiation-permaculture.

Addiction/Collapse

A/C - Spiraling out of control.
A/C - Common symptoms - denial and rationalization.
A/C - Instant gratification.
A/C - Stunted emotional growth.
A/C - Lack of meaning.
A/C - Loneliness/depression/use.

Recovery/Initiation

R/I - Forced or led out of denial.
R/I - Desire to change - pursuit of change.
R/I - Emotional growth resumes.
R/I - Meaning returns.
R/I - Connections are made and communities sought.
R/I - With meaning comes optimism and hope.

Freedom/Permaculture

F/P - Maintenance of change and continued ongoing change.
F/P - Goals become clearer, more defined.
F/P - Willing to continually delay gratification.
F/P - Inner life deepens, relationships improve.
F/P - Mental health continues improvement as meaning deepens.
F/P - Communities flourish under new rules-new definitions.

Now, that last one, that seems to be the question both personally and politically. Will communities flourish? Can people come together and do the hard work and consider the earth and each other?

Anonymous wrote me again and I'm very appreciative of his/her comments. My next post will address his comment and Chani's reply and hopefully clear some things up regarding Eclectic Recovery and what it's all about.

I start my chemical dependency group this week here in Kalispell. I'm looking forward to that and to our visit to Dan and Laurie's. Still doing my computer work at the library, but hope to write again tomorrow. In the meantime, stay sober, love each other and read ingredients.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love you Angela, Cindy

Grandmama Carla said...

Yep, permaculture is therapy, remediation and detox from alienation from the earth. We need it and you could do a program around it that would be so healthy!

I sent you an email with an article at the email addreaa I have. If you don't get it and it's not in spam, then maybe you have a new address?

Anonymous said...

Angela,
What a great post! As for your question at the end, would people fourish? Would they do right to each other and the earth? I would like to think so. However, I consider myself a positive person and perhaps this blinds my response. However, it is my positive perspective that helps me to enjoy life.
As for your father's comment you shared in another post; he absolutely correct! Remember that the others are there to assist you. It is you who lives your life, make it the life that you desire, not other's.
Your posts are so inspiring!
H

Anonymous said...

Good day

We do not agree with this year BRITs 2010 decision.

Please attend our little survey

http://micropoll.com/t/KDqOnZBCWt

Lady Gaga can not be better than ?????

Poll supported by BRIT awards 2010 sponsor femmestyle
[url=http://www.femmestyle.ch/schoenheitschirurgie/brustvergroesserung/index.html]brustvergrößerung[/url]

PRINCE HARRY WISHES HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BRIT AWARDS
With a special birthday message from Prince Harry for the 30th Anniversary of the BRIT Awards