Friday, March 5, 2010

Practicality is not Apocalyptic


Okay. So I knew Brent's house would be a challenge to clean and organize. I ask you - how can 5,000 tacky little trinkets all have sentimental value? It's not possible. We're about figuring out what really has value and how best to maintain and enhance that value. And no, I'm not talking about trinkets.


Anyway, I've begun the permaculture campaign, and there are more obstacles to overcome than the ones in Brent's brain. We live right up against the mountain and the forest blocks most of the daylight. Sun isn't required for chickens, but they will be highly susceptible to finding themselves critter chow even with a well-built coop. In other words, Brent says no right now. I'm still shooting for the chickens, though; at least they don't require constant sun.


I've decided that the most common sense, practical piece for us right now would be a root cellar. We can dig it right into the mountain, have storage and a storm-shelter and a great place for ritual and respite. I was just asking Brent last summer to make me a hollow in the earth; a place where I could go lie and feel her heartbeat and her comfort. The campaign continues.


Brent and I are agreed about where society and even our entire civilization is headed. I asked him how he would describe collapse as we've been reading about in one sentence and he said, " Collapse of the entire system. Globally." Take just a few minutes to think about this right now. Just consider the possibility of your food sources drying up, of severely limited communication and travel, of a lack of clean water, just for starters. What about medications, first aid and self-protection - how long could you survive without these things? And if you'd rather not ponder the collapse of civilization, ponder the next earthquake, the next tornado, hurricane or flood. How could you begin to prepare better for these very real possibilities?


Now, go live your life for a week and don't think about it anymore.


For one who has

perception,

A mere sign is enough.


For one who does not heed,

a thousand explanations

are not enough.


Hajji Becktash Wali - 13th century Persian mystic


When you get past your fear, start here: google Carolyn Baker

6 comments:

Miss Robyn said...

there is always talk of the 'grid' collapsing.. when we lose all electricity etc.. there have even been prophets speak of it...
I do believe it will happen.. don't know when.. it scares me & overwhelms me to even think of it.
I love the whole idea of permaculture.. it is a hard task to live it fully though, you have to be really committed to it. so I just do my best with what I have.. which I think is what we all must do. I think I have waffled on in this comment.. my mind is elsewhere :(

Mary LA said...

Do you know the work of Derrick Jensen? -- I have rewilded most of my garden which is permaculture but also another aspect of connecting and harvesting -- love the idea of that earth hollow.

Anonymous said...

This post feels very timely for me. When I first moved in with Sylvain and his family, they HAD to have a big garage sale just to make room for me to occupy one of two guest bedrooms. He wanted to keep every childhood stuffed animal (he's over 40), every trip souvenir, every trophy, every novel already read. I finally gave up the battle, realizing that if I forced him, he would end up resenting me for it. I moved out again once I had a job. Every time he mentions having a home together one day, I remind him that I love him, but not his stuff. The knick knacks and dust collectors will have to go. Finally, after working for 3 years on his attachment to things, he is starting to move forward with a purge. We recently cleaned his garage, and every time he discarded something, I gave him a big kiss and thanked him. He is making room for US by letting go of some of his past. I guess my point is...you might have to go slowly and patiently with Brent. Sometimes it works better to let a campaign rest for a while.

Angela said...

Robyn,

It scares me, too, but not much more than the thought of continuing to sell my soul to corporate capitalists. :)

Angela said...

Mary,

I've heard of Derrick Jensen but am just now getting more fully into his work. I misinterpreted him the first time I read something of his, but he's coming back into view and I'm paying attention.

Angela said...

Kelly,

That's hilarious. I'm glad you and Sylvain found a way to work it out. I'm sure Brent and I will, too. I kid around a lot on here. I'm actually quite loving and patient with him, but I still get to give him a hard time. :)