Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Thailand Chani

I received a real shock yesterday when I learned of the death of one of my dear blogging and recovery friends, Thailand Chani. Chani was something else. She was an incredibly talented and bright woman who enjoyed many years of sobriety but never made a real big thing of it. She only offered her insight to provide support or advice when asked. She never interfered. She never called attention to herself. She just showed up, day after day and offered herself to a world that unfortunately didn't show much interest in her.

Chani's ideas tended toward the radical, which is where ideas go when the truth is not only sought, but found. Chani sought community and I think she finally found some form of it through her writing and blogging and her sober support group. It was mostly web-based I'm afraid. Chani had recently found herself in another situation where she was doing all the work, providing all the emotional spine and I'm sure more than her fair-share of back-breaking work. Was she appreciated for it? Only by her "virtual" friends, many of whom now find themselves thinking of Chani with a bittersweet regret that we weren't able to know her better.

She was heading off to a better life; a life she had looked forward to creating for herself through many a lean and hard year. She really deserved that life. I'm so sorry she's no longer with us and I'm going to miss her a lot. If it weren't for Chani, I wouldn't be where I am in my sobriety or in my unflinching refusal to accept where American finds herself as a nation and the world as a community. Waking up is hard to do. Chani knew that. She also knew it was the only thing left to do. For until we awaken, we keep running the capitalist, consumer-driven rat-race that is quickly coming to an end. Chani could've helped a lot of people deal with the upcoming changes. Actually, I'm pretty sure she's doing that anyway. Good luck and happy trails, sweet lady. The candle is lit. The incense is burning and the seeds are sprouting.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I found out too and like you was shocked...I have read her blog and followed her journey so closely and her thoughts were wonderfully radical and amazing in her search.

Thank you for this brilliant blog post and your care too, I hope you are well and send you love.

I believe that Chani is where she wanted to be now and we can feel her spirit with us in what she shared with us throughout her blogging journey.

Love to you

Sherri Cornelius said...

I'm so sorry you lost a friend. I only read her comments here, but I could tell she had gathered a lot of wisdom, and that she truly cared about you.

Miss Robyn said...

I didn't know her, but I am very sad for you to have lost such a supportive friend.. I know well, the awful loss of a dear blog friend.. very difficult to come to terms with really xo

Grandmama Carla said...

Missing you, Angela. What's cooking in Montana?

Grandmama Carla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Need word of you, friend. Please let us know how you're doing.

kalvin said...

i found out too and like you was shocked...I have read her blog and followed her journey so closely and her thoughts were wonderfully radical and amazing in her search.
febreze air fresheners